Lily Allen Says Her Daughters ‘Totally Ruined’ Her Pop Career, Prioritizing Them Over Fame


English singer-songwriter and actress Lily Allen has candidly admitted that her two daughters have ‘totally ruined’ her pop career, citing her choice to prioritize them over her professional ambitions.


In an interview with the Radio Times Podcast, the 38-year-old singer-turned-actress expressed her belief that women often face a choice between focusing on their children or their careers, and she chose the former.


‘My children ruined my career. I love them and they complete me, but in terms of pop-stardom, they totally ruined it,’ Allen said.


‘I get really annoyed when people say you can have it all because, quite frankly, you can’t. Some people choose their career over their children, and that’s their prerogative, but my parents were quite absent when I was a kid.


‘I feel like it left some nasty scars that I’m not willing to repeat on mine.’


Lily's father is actor Keith Allen, 70, who separated from her film producer mother Alison Owen, 63, when Lily was four years old.


Allen explained that she ‘chose to step back and concentrate on my children’ and she’s glad that she did, as ‘they’re pretty well-rounded.’


The Smile singer shares two daughters, Ethel Mary, 12, and Marnie Rose, 10, with her ex-husband, builder Sam Cooper, 45.


Allen now resides in New York with her children and her new husband, Stranger Things star David Harbour, 48, whom she married in 2020. She has shifted her focus to acting, saying, ‘A big part of sobriety is surrendering and letting God – in whatever way you want to believe in that – have a plan for you.'


Allen recalled receiving a call from a casting director for a play [2:22 A Ghost Story] in the West End while feeling directionless in her life. Despite initially declining, Harbour encouraged her to reconsider, leading her to take on the role, marking her transition into acting.


‘He said, “Maybe you should call them back,” and five weeks later I was in rehearsal,’ Allen shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment